Frequently Asked Questions
- Which colleges will accept these credits?
- Colleges set their own policies on this, and even some who have accepted courses in the past may change their policy. So to be sure, we always recommend that students call the institution(s) they are considering attending to confirm their current policy.
- How do you request a transcript for completed Sophia courses?
- Students can request a transcript by emailing email@example.com
- What is ProctorU and how does it work?
- ProctorU is an online proctoring service that allows students to take exams online while ensuring the integrity of the exam for the institution. If the teacher of record is unavailable to proctor a student's assessment – the student can schedule a virtual proctor. More information can be found here.
- Is ProctorU free?
- Yes. It is part of the Sophia course. There is no extra cost if the student decides to use the service. The student must schedule the assessments with a 72 hour notice. Otherwise, a $5 convenience fee will be charged to the student for an immediate appointment.
- Do you need to use the ProctorU service?
- No. The teacher of record can override the classroom settings and do an in class proctoring. This option must be selected before the student has launched the final assessment. If the in class proctoring option is locked – please contact a Sophia Tech Support Representative for assistance.
- What happens upon enrollment in a Sophia course?
A mentor from Sophia is automatically assigned to the student.
- Are grades for Sophia recorded in Edgenuity's system?
Everything is on the Sophia side, but an educator can portal into Sophia's Learning Management System to view the grades.
- Are there fees for transferring the credits to an institution of higher learning?
This is up to the college to decide.
- How does a student earn college credit?
Students are expected to complete all of their course work online. Grading for the ACE Credit Recommendation is pass/fail. Students are required to complete all formative and summative assessments with an overall course average of 70% or better.
Edgenuity's Sophia dual credit courses have been recommended for college credit by the American Council on Education’s (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT®). More than 2,000 colleges and universities consider ACE CREDIT recommendations in determining the applicability to their course and degree programs. Please note, however, that each higher education institution has final discretion on credit award decisions.
Sophia participates in the American Council on Education’s (ACE) Transcript Service. The ACE Transcript Service offers a lifelong record for students who have successfully completed Sophia courses that have been reviewed by ACE CREDIT. This service enables students to present a nationally recognized transcript to the college or university of their choice for the potential award of academic credit.
- I am an educator, how can I access the Sophia LMS?
Once a student enters a Sophia class for the first time, you, as the educator, will be able to click Manage Sophia from the student's grade page.
- Sophia automatically assigns a mentor for the student. How can I be the teacher of record for the student at school?
You will need to email Sophia to have them place your name as the teacher of record for the student.
Empower students to get ahead. Edgenuity’s dual credit courses, provided by Sophia, give students the opportunity to earn both high school and college credit. Dual credit courses encourage high school students to:
- Challenge themselves academically and demonstrate to prospective colleges and universities they can do college-level work.
- Earn college credit accepted at more than 2,000 universities through Sophia’s Pathways for College Credit.
- Please keep in mind that every college or university sets their own policies on credit acceptance, so we always recommend students call their prospective institution to confirm their current policy.
- Save time and money by jump starting college with incoming credit.
The American Council on Education’s (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT)® has evaluated and recommended college credit for all thirteen of SOPHIA's courses. More than 2,000 colleges and universities consider ACE CREDIT recommendations in determining the applicability to their course and degree programs.
Follow this learning path to learn more about Dual Credit: