Frequently Asked Questions
- How will we support students who don’t have email addresses when they forget their passwords?
- You will be able to generate a temporary password to give the student following the instructions in this article. After logging in with this temporary password, the student is immediately prompted to reset the password. Generating a temporary password will be a faster and easier process than looking up, or changing the password yourself, if you permit students to select their own passwords.
- If we give students a temporary password, will we need to reissue those passwords regularly?
- No. Generating a temporary password is a one-time fix to the problem of a forgotten password. When the student logs in with the temporary password, a prompt appears requiring a more permanent change to the password.
- When students are prompted to reset their password by entering a new password, can they enter the same password they used before?
Educators may need to issue students a temporary password. This is an easy way to help students recover passwords if you do not enter personal email addresses for students, or if you do not want them to self-manage their own passwords.
To follow the steps listed below, you will need to have "Can Get Temporary Passwords for Students" checked under Student Accounts. To validate your permissions, click here.
- Under the Students tab, select Manage Students Beta.
- Click the Filters button.
- Add or remove filters to manage specific students. To find out about each filter, click here.
- Select Apply.
- Checkmark next to the student's name.
- Under the More dropdown, select the Account Security dropdown. Then select Get Temporary Password.
- A confirmation window will appear to ensure a temporary password is requested for the student. Click Get Temporary Password.
- Provide the temporary password to the student to use upon next login.
- Once the student has been given the temporary password, click Close.
- After using the temporary password provided, the student is prompted to reset the password.